Chiropractic is a holistic and alternative treatment that uses the hands to manipulate the body. Chiropractic focuses on adjusting the subluxations of the spine to alleviate discomfort and misalignment. Adjusting the spine to be back in proper alignment also allows the nervous system to function at its most efficient and powerful state. Chiropractic can also use spinal manipulation as a means of relieving pain; pain in the lower back, sciatica, neck pain, migraines or tension headaches, or pain in the knees, shoulders or elbows.
Why should you get chiropractic adjustments?
A vertebrae can get knocked out of place with something as simple as a slip or fall. Once a vertebrae is misaligned, the entire body can start spiraling downhill. If your nerves are pinched, communication from the nerves to the brain is cut short. I can compare this to a kink in a water hose – the water may still flow – but not easily and not at its best and most efficient flow! A misaligned spine can lead to poor posture, joint swelling, joint and muscle pain, and even osteoporosis. Chiropractic adjustments have been known to decrease colic symptoms and ear infections, especially in children. Studies have shown that one chiropractic adjustment had the same effect as two blood pressure-lowering drugs.
Chiropractic Fun Facts
* The word “chiropractor” is a Greek word meeting “done by hand”
* The first chiropractic adjustment was given in 1895 by Daniel David Palmer, who is known as the father of Chiropractic, who helped a janitor regain his hearing after a back accident 17 years prior.
* Many insurances include chiropractic care in healthcare plans, and not just for accidents or doctor referrals, but for wellness exams too!
* Doctors of Chiropractic must complete four years of doctoral graduate school in order to qualify for chiropractic exams.
* An estimated 35 million Americans are treated by chiropractors each year.
* Chiropractic is recognized and regulated by law in over 40 countries and licensed DCs can be found in all 50 States
* Each day, over 1 million adjustments take place across the globe.